Thursday, February 26, 2009

Discovering My Roots..

For the past 22 years, I have been wondering whether I really came from Chinese descent or not.
You see,my surname (Tam) isn't really that common here in the Philippines and it sounds kinda Vietnamese as well.
I heard various versions of how our surname came to be and somehow I just accepted the fact that I might never know the real version of the story.
However, as I was going through some old documents in search of my birth certificate, I stumbled upon a piece of paper that I have never seen before.
Curious, I decided to read it and lo and behold, my grandfather was indeed half-chinese!
It turns out that I found my grandfather's request for a Filipino citizenship. Cool.
His father's name is Tam Yuk. Weird.
Great-grandpa was born in Canton, China in 1886 and my grandfather became a Filipino citizen only in 1948.
So I'm basically 1/8 Chinese.
I wish they taught us how to speak Cantonese...
Now if I could only figure out how much of a Spaniard my grandmother was....

No comments:

Post a Comment